In the Police Station
You are entitled to FREE legal advice in the Police Station. Our Criminal Defence Legal Representatives are on call to attend upon you at any time of the day or night, every day of the year. Our out-of-hours telephone number is 07000 430430.
It is imperative that you have legal advice when questioned by the Police. Our Criminal Defence Solictors will discuss your matter with you in confidence in the Police Station, advise you about interview procedure and relevant elements of the law, accompany you in interview and represent you during any subsequent Police Station appointments or court appearances.
Police questioning can be a daunting experience. We aim to minimise the inevitable anxiety with advice and understanding. It is in your very best interests to have legal advice on the strength of evidence against you – or whether it would be to your benefit to give an account in a Police interview.
If you have already been questioned by the Police without legal representation, even for the most trivial offence, it is not too late to seek legal advice.
Do I need a Solicitor if I am guilty and wish to admit the offence?
The answer is YES, because:
- The advice will be free.
- It will not delay your detention at the Police Station.
- We will advise you on your legal rights and what powers the Police have.
- The Police have to disclose to a Solicitor a summary of the evidence before interview. However, if you don’t have a Solicitor present, they do not have to disclose that evidence to you.
- If you admit the offence(s), we can try to persuade the Police to give you a formal warning rather than charge you; or to charge you with a less serious offence.
- Unless in exceptional circumstances – or if it is against your will – we can keep your family and friends informed of your situation.